- How to Apply
- Case Status
- After the Interview
Step 1. Check the Validity of Your Passport
Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States, unless exempt by country-specific agreements (PDF 24KB).
Step 2. Complete the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160
Completed Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160
Please note that you must answer EVERY question on the application forms. If the answer to a question is “none,” please write “none”(Do not leave it blank). Incomplete/incorrect forms will be returned and will require you to schedule a new interview appointment.
- Many of our visa applicants are completing the DS-160 incorrectly, causing us to postpone their planned visa interview dates.
- If you are part of a delegation, remember everyone should fill the DS-160 to get a visa.
Step 3. Collect any Supporting Documentation
- Valid Passport
- Diplomatic Note or “Note Verbale” from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Diplomatic Mission; official request from the appropriate international organization or sending government.
- One ID photograph 5cm x 5cm taken in the past 6 months.
- DS-160 confirmation page
- A3, G5, and NATO-7 applicants must provide an employment contract.
- Additional documentary requirements may apply in some cases.
Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant’s residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a nonimmigrant tourist visa. If you do choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember that it is not one of the factors that we use in determining whether to issue or deny a nonimmigrant tourist visa.
Step 4. Bring your passport and supporting documents to the Embassy
Official government and international organization travelers usually do not need interviews. The applicant or a representative (Protocol) should bring the required documents on Mondays or Thursdays between 2 to 2:30 PM.
Step 5: Collect your passport and visa
If you are issued the visa, your passport pick-up days are Mondays or Thursdays between 2 to 2:30 PM.