This page provides information on applying for a new passport, renewing a passport, and adding additional pages to a passport. It also provides information on what to do if you need an emergency passport or if your passport is lost, stolen, damaged or mutilated, as well as details about fees, forms, and average passport processing times.
AVERAGE PROCESSING TIMES:
New passport applications and passport renewals generally take two to three weeks. Emergency passport applications can take 24-48 hours to process.
Renew a Passport
U.S. citizens who wish to renew a U.S. passport should submit the appropriate application form with the current or expired U.S. passport, two 5 cm x 5 cm (2 in x 2 in) passport photos, the passport renewal fee and other required documents. See the passport checklist above for a list of all required documents.
Apply for a Passport
The documents listed below are required for all U.S. passport applications:
- In-person application (i.e. the applicant must be present at the Embassy)
- Appropriate passport application form: DS-82 for applicants (16 or older) who are renewing a passport or requesting an emergency passport I DS-11 for first-time applicants, applicants under the age of 16 (including those applying for an emergency passport) or applicants who were under 16 when the previous passport application was submitted I Applicants whose previous passport book/card has been lost or stolen must submit the DS-11 and the DS-64
- Current or expired U.S. passport or other proof of identity/U.S. citizenship
- One passport photo (5 cm x 5 cm or 2 in x 2 in) on a white background
- Appropriate Fees. The Consular Section can accept cash in U.S. dollars or FCFA.
Lost or Stolen Passport
(ACScotonou@state.gov) to help protect you against identity theft and to prevent someone else from using the passport.
To replace your lost, stolen, damaged or mutilated passport, please bring the following documents to the Consular Section:
- Completed form DS-11 and form DS-64
- All available identification (e.g. birth certificate, driver’s license, photocopy of the missing passport, or expired U.S. passport)
- One (1) identical, recent color photographs taken full face, with a white background, measuring 5 cm x 5 cm (2 in x 2 in)
- Optional: A police report substantiating loss or theft
A consul can issue a new passport or a replacement for a lost or stolen passport. If you believe your passport has been stolen, first report the theft to the local police and get a police declaration before coming to the Embassy for a replacement. Please check current fees for replacement passports.
In order to obtain a replacement passport the following is needed:
- Proof of U.S. citizenship (i.e. a previous passport, birth certificate, naturalization papers, etc.)
- application form completely filled out
- Application fee
In an emergency, passports with a limited validity can be printed while you wait. Routine passport processing takes from a week to ten days.
Additional requirements for minors (under 16):
- Child’s birth certificate (original or certified copy)
- Both parents need to be present and should present a passport or other picture ID
- If one parent cannot be present, s/he should complete form DS-3053 (Statement of Consent) and sign it in before a notary public. The parent should also provide a copy of the signed photo ID (e.g. passport or driver’s license) that was used when the form was notarized.
- If a guardian cares for the child, parents should provide a notarized letter giving the guardian permission to renew the passport
- If only one parent or a guardian is applying, please submit the following documents as they apply to your specific situation.
- Divorce decree
- Adoption/guardianship decree naming only the applying parent/guardian
- Court order granting sole custody, with no provision limiting the minor’s travel
- If one parent is deceased, please provide a copy of the death certificate
- Recommended: Pictures of child growing up from age in passport to present age
Please contact the Consular Section at ACScotonou@state.gov if you have any questions or need additional information.
Additional Visa Page
This service is no longer available.
Limited Validity Emergency Passport
LIMITED VALIDITY EMERGENCY PASSPORTS:
The Consular Section can issue passports in emergency cases (e.g. death in the family or a medical problem). Such passports will be limited in validity (i.e. up to 12 months), and cannot be extended. Please see the passport checklist above for more information on the necessary forms and documentation needed to process an emergency passport. Emergency passport applications generally take 24-48 hours to process.
Emergency passports may be exchanged for full-validity photo-digitized passports within one year from the date of issuance to avoid payment of another passport application fee. To exchange your limited validity emergency passport for a full validity passport, please submit the following: Your limited-validity emergency passport, the appropriate passport application, the letter which you received at the time you obtained the emergency passport with instructions on exchanging the passport, and two current U.S. standard size passport photographs on a white background.