Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.
American citizens with an emergency may appear at the Embassy during business hours or contact the duty officer after hours by phoning (229) 21 30 06 50.
For other services, including passport services and reports of birth aboard, as well as those listed below, please make an appointment or mail to ACSCotonou@state.gov
Routine American Citizen Hours are Tuesdays from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm and Thursdays from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
The Consular Section Can:
- issue a Consular Report of Birth Abroad,
- distribute federal benefit payments,
- handle personal estates of deceased U.S. citizens,
- assist with absentee voting and Selective Service registration,
- provide U.S. tax forms.
The Consular Section Can't:
- act as travel agent, bank, lawyer, investigator, or law enforcement officer.
- find you employment,
- get you residence or driving permits,
- act as interpreter,
- search for missing luggage, or
- settle disputes with hotel managers.
They can, however, tell you how to get help on these and other matters.