Release Date October 6, 2021
Location: Northern Benin
Event: U.S. citizens are reminded to exercise increased caution in Benin due to general crime, including kidnapping, and maritime crime. Some areas have increased risk.
Do Not Travel to the northern regions of Benin, including Park Pendjari, Park W, adjacent hunting zones, and Benin’s northeastern border area with Nigeria, due to terrorism and kidnapping.
Extremist groups have carried out attacks in areas of Burkina Faso and Niger adjacent to Benin’s northern border. Attacks may occur with little or no warning. Westerners are at risk of kidnapping in this region.
Reconsider travel to Benin due to COVID-19. Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
Actions to Take:
- U.S. Citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Benin.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your status.
- U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin
Boulevard de la Marina Cotonou Benin
+229 21 36 75 00 or +229 21 30 06 50
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Benin Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter