Event: The Embassy has received reports suggesting possible anti-foreigner sentiment related to the spread of COVID-19 in Benin. Incidents of verbal harassment related to COVID-19 have been reported by U.S. citizens and other foreigners, along with difficulty or delays in obtaining access to routine medical care due to concerns that foreigners may have and transmit COVID-19. The Embassy is not aware of any reports of violence against foreigners related to COVID-19.
For emergency American Citizen Services, please contact us at ACSCotonou@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Review your personal security plans.
- Avoid walking/hiking/biking alone.
- Do not engage or otherwise escalate any encounter. Do your best to leave the situation/area immediately.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Maintain situational awareness. Avoid wearing headphones or using handheld electronic devices in public areas.
- If you are in a vehicle, lock your doors and keep your window rolled up.
- U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin
Boulevard de la Marina
+229 21 36 75 00
- State Department – Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Benin Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter