Security Alert: Presidential Election Season in Benin
Location: Throughout Benin
Event: Benin will hold presidential elections on April 11, 2021. Before, during, and after Election Day, U.S. citizens in Benin should heighten their situational awareness and exercise increased caution. Presidential campaigning and election activity could generate large crowds and demonstrations. Election-related gatherings may lead to an increased risk of violence, petty crime, arrest, and traffic disruptions. Large gatherings also increase the risk of transmission of COVID-19. U.S. citizens should avoid crowds and demonstrations and take proper precautions against the spread of COVID-19.
Actions to Consider:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations. Avoid areas where protests and demonstrations are occurring.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Monitor local media for ongoing events.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Beninese visa.
- Wear a mask when in public spaces to protect yourself and others from the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
- U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin
Boulevard de la Marina Cotonou Benin
+229 21 36 75 00 or +229 21 30 06 50
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Benin Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter