Location: Benin, countrywide
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Cotonou has modified its restricted travel areas to include Kandi and Tanguieta. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from conducting personal travel in these areas and must obtain special authorization for official travel because of the high risk of terrorism and criminal activity. The complete list of restricted travel areas for U.S. government personnel are:
- The cities of Kandi and Tanguieta
- North from Kandi and Taguieta to the Niger / Burkina Faso border
- Pendjari and W National Parks, Zones Cynegetique De La Pendjari, De Latakora, and De Djona, and the adjacent hunting zones
- RNIE 7 between Banikora and Segbana
- RN10 between Nikki and Segbana
The Embassy strongly advises U.S. citizens do not travel to these areas.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the impacted areas.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance if you choose to travel to these areas. Review the State Department Advisory for Travel to High Risk Areas.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Cotonou
- Phone number +229 2136 7500
- Email Address ACSCotonou@state.gov
- Department of State – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444 ·
- Benin Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter