Location: Northern Border Region of Benin and Park W
Event: The Embassy has received reports of suspicious activity near Park W in northern Benin.
There continue to be reports of suspicious activity in the northern border region of Benin and Park W. The Embassy closely evaluates the security environment and reports of suspicious activity and has updated its travel restrictions. U.S. government employees are prohibited from personal travel and must obtain special authorization for official travel to these areas:
- Park Pendjari, Park W, and all adjacent hunting zones;
- Areas within 50 km of Benin’s northern border with Burkina Faso;
- Areas north of the RNIE 7 route from Banikoara to the Nigerian border (not including the cities of Kandi and Segbana).
Actions to Take:
- Reconsider travel to the northern areas of Benin described above;
- Keep a low profile;
- Be aware of your surroundings;
- Review your personal security plans;
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin
Boulevard de la Marina Cotonou Benin
+229 21 36 75 00 or +229 21 30 06 50
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Benin Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter