Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin (May 4, 2020)
As of May 4, the Government of Benin has confirmed 96 cases of COVID-19, including two deaths.
Air France is offering limited repatriation flights from Cotonou to Paris with priority for French and EU nationals. These flights may have capacity for individuals who wish to return to the United States, provided the passenger is also able to secure an immediate onward flight from Paris to a destination in the United States. Those interested in learning more about this potential opportunity should contact Air France directly at +229 98 45 48 48, or 51 33 85 21.
There are no other known commercial flight options to depart Benin at this time. Passengers whose flights were previously cancelled should contact their airline directly for information about rebooking options. U.S. citizens in Benin should prepare to shelter in place until flights resume.
U.S. Embassy Cotonou has reduced operations to emergency services only until further notice. U.S. citizens with emergencies, including passport emergencies, should contact American Citizen Services at ACSCotonou@state.gov, or call +229 21 36 75 00 and press 0 to speak to an operator.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the Government of Benin’s COVID-19 website (in French), or call the Government’s COVID-19 hotline at 51 02 00 00 / 51 04 00 00 for information on current government measures.
- Follow all government and law enforcement procedures and instructions.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
- Make plans to depart Benin without U.S. Government assistance.
- Prepare to shelter in place for an indefinite period of time if remaining in Benin, including ensuring you have an adequate supply of prescription medication.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Benin.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or cancellations, and restrictions of future tickets.
- U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin
Boulevard de la Marina, Cotonou, Benin
+229 21 36 75 00 or 21 30 06 50
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Benin Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter