Location: Atacora and Borgou Regions, Benin
Event: The Ministry of Health in Benin reported 10 cases of Lassa fever, a rare but potentially life-threatening viral hemorrhagic disease.
Actions to Take:
- Consult a medical professional if you have been in direct contact with an infected person within the past three weeks and have symptoms of Lassa fever which include: fever, chest, stomach or back pain, cough, vomiting, diarrhea, or mucosal bleeding (i.e. from the eyes, gums, nose, or intestinal tract).
- Visit CDC’s website on Lassa Fever
- U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Benin Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter