As of April 7, the Government of Benin has confirmed 26 cases of COVID-19 within and outside the health cordon zone, including one death and several cases of local transmission.
Ethiopian Airlines cancelled its April 11 flight due to lack of demand; plans for future flights are not known. There are no other commercial air options at this time to depart Benin. U.S. citizens in Benin should prepare to remain for an indefinite period.
Beginning April 8, the Government of Benin will require everyone within the health cordon zone to wear face masks in public. This includes the municipalities of Cotonou, Abomey-Calavi, Allada, Ouidah, Tori-Bossito, Zè, So-Ava, Aguégué, Sèmè-Podji, Porto-Novo, Akpro-Missérété and Adjarra. Systematic face mask use is recommended for all other parts of Benin. Visit the COVID-19 website (in French) of the Government of Benin for additional information on the measures it is taking to limit the spread of COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the Government of Benin’s COVID-19 website (in French) or call the Government’s COVID-19 hotline at 51 02 00 00 / 51 04 00 00 for information on current government measures.
- Follow all government and law enforcement procedures and instructions.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
- Make plans to depart Benin without U.S. Government assistance.
- Prepare to shelter in place for an indefinite period of time if remaining in Benin, including ensuring you have an adequate supply of prescription medication.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Benin.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Check with your airlines for updated information about your travel plans and/or cancellations and restrictions of future tickets.
- U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin
Boulevard de la Marina Cotonou Benin
+229 21 36 75 00 or 21 30 06 50
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Benin Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter