Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin (April 6, 2020)
As of April 6, the Government of Benin has confirmed 22 cases of COVID-19, including one death.
On April 6, Ethiopian Airlines informed Embassy Cotonou its April 11 flight is likely to be cancelled due to lack of demand; plans for future flights are not known. Ethiopian Airlines is the only commercial airline currently serving Cotonou. U.S. citizens in Benin should work with Ethiopian Airlines today while this flight remains available, or prepare to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government does not anticipate arranging repatriation flights from Benin.
On April 5, the Government of Benin began recommending the systematic use of face masks in public. Visit the COVID-19 website of the Government of Benin for additional information on the measures it is taking to limit the spread of COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the Government of Benin’s COVID-19 website (in French) or call the Government’s COVID-19 hotline at 51 02 00 00 / 51 04 00 00 for information on current government measures.
- Follow all government and law enforcement procedures and instructions.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
- Make plans to depart Benin without U.S. Government assistance.
- Prepare to shelter in place for an indefinite period of time if remaining in Benin, including ensuring you have an adequate supply of prescription medication.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Benin.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin
Boulevard de la Marina Cotonou Benin
+229 21 36 75 00 or 21 30 06 50
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Benin Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter