Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin (April 17, 2020)
Ethiopian Airlinesiscurrently offering flights from Cotonou to the U.S.via Lomé or Addis Abababeginning May 2. There are no other confirmed commercial flight options to depart Beninat this time.Passengerswhose flights werepreviously cancelled should contact their airline directly for information about rebooking options. U.S. citizens in Benin should prepare to shelter in placeuntil flights resume.
U.S. Embassy Cotonou has reduced operations to emergency services only until further notice. U.S. citizens with emergencies, including passport emergencies, should contact American Citizen Services at ACSCotonou@state.gov or call +229 2136 7500 and press 0 to speak to an operator.
The Government of Benin has extended the health cordon in southern Benin through April 27. The government requires everyone within the health cordon zone to wear face masks in public, and recommends their use in all other areas.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the Government of Benin’s COVID-19 website (in French) or call the Government’s COVID-19 hotline at 51 02 00 00 / 51 04 00 00 for information on current government measures.
- Follow all government and law enforcement procedures and instructions.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
- Make plans to depart Benin without U.S. Government assistance.
- Prepare to shelter in place for an indefinite period of time if remaining in Benin, including ensuring you have an adequate supply of prescription medication.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Benin.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or cancellations and restrictions of future tickets.
U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin
Boulevard de la Marina Cotonou Benin
+229 21 36 75 00 or 21 30 06 50
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Benin Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter