The Embassy has arranged a special commercial flight from Cotonou to Lomé, Togo, on Tuesday, April 14, for onward travel to Newark, New Jersey. A limited number of seats are available on a first come, first served basis. Tickets must be purchased before 17:00 on Monday, April 13.
U.S. citizens can purchase tickets from Cotonou to Newark directly from Ethiopian Airlines by contacting +228 9196 8918 or +228 9089 7316. (Note: these are Togolese numbers and international charges will apply). Working hours are:
- Today, April 10: until 17:00 West Africa Standard Time (WAT)
- Saturday, April 11: between 10:00 and 13:00 WAT
- Monday, April 13: between 10:00 and 1700 WAT (+228 9089 7316 only)
Passengers will not be allowed to leave the airport terminal in Lomé and must board the onward flight from Lomé to Newark. The ticket price from Cotonou to Newark is expected to be $4,000 per person.
Asky flight KP 9440 is scheduled to depart Cotonou Cadjehoun Airport (COO) at 11:00 AM on April 14 and to arrive at Lomé-Tokoin International Airport (LFW) in time to connect to Ethiopian Flight 508 to Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR). Passengers are responsible for making any onward flight arrangements from Newark. All travelers must have the required travel documents. The Embassy is not planning future flights.
At this time, there are no other commercial flight options to depart Benin. U.S. citizens who choose not to depart on the April 14 flight should prepare to remain in Benin indefinitely and shelter in place.
U.S. Embassy Cotonou has reduced operations to emergency services only until further notice. U.S. citizens with emergencies, including passport emergencies, should contact American Citizen Services at ACSCotonou@state.gov or call +229 2136 7500 and press 0 to speak to an operator. The Embassy is closed on Monday, April 13 for Easter Monday.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the Government of Benin’s COVID-19 website (in French) or call the Government’s COVID-19 hotline at 51 02 00 00 / 51 04 00 00 for information on current government measures.
- Follow all government and law enforcement procedures and instructions.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
- Make plans to depart Benin without U.S. Government assistance.
- Prepare to shelter in place for an indefinite period of time if remaining in Benin, including ensuring you have an adequate supply of prescription medication.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Benin.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin
Boulevard de la Marina Cotonou Benin
+229 21 36 75 00 or 21 30 06 50
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Benin Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter