Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin
Event: The Government of Benin has announced a new testing protocol and will require all travelers bound for Cotonou by air to present a negative PCR test result. The test must have been taken within 48 hours of departure for Cotonou.
This new requirement replaces the current arrival test at the airport. Therefore, if you are arriving by air on or after January 1, 2022, you do not need to purchase an arrival test QR code. Instead, you must present a negative PCR test result when you check in for your flight.
Departure testing remains in place. Please note the Palais des Congrès and VIP sites will close early on December 31st, 2021 at 1400, and at 1200 on January 1, 2022.
12 Jan Update: The Embassy has received reports of airlines not knowing about the change to Benin’s arrival testing protocol. Airline staff have asked several people to produce QR codes at check-in or boarding, even though arrival testing is no longer required. As a precaution, travelers can print the Beninese government communiqué announcing the new pre-boarding PCR test requirement to show airline staff if they challenge the absence of a QR code.
To date, the Embassy has not heard of travelers successfully receiving reimbursement for unused QR codes; please keep this in mind if you purchase a QR code for an arrival test as a back-up. You risk not being reimbursed.
Actions to Take:
- For information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations. · Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for country-specific information related to COVID-19.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions, including potential COVID vaccine or testing requirements for countries you are transiting through.
- Visit the U.S. Embassy Benin webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Benin.
- U.S. Embassy Cotonou Phone number +229 2136 7500
- Email Address ACSCotonou@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444 ·
- Benin Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter