Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin (20 January 2022)
Location: Benin, countrywide
Event: The Government of Benin has extended the amount of time needed for arrival and departure COVID tests. Effective 17 Jan 2022:
Arriving travelers – Must present a negative PCR test result dated within 72 hours of departure for Cotonou. COVID tests are no longer required upon arrival at the airport, and you do not need to purchase an arrival test QR code. Instead, you must present a negative PCR test result when you check in for your flight.
Departing travelers – Must present a negative PCR test result dated within five (5) days of departure from Cotonou (in addition to following any COVID measures imposed by the destination country).
Please note that the embassy has received reports of airlines not knowing about the change to Benin’s arrival testing protocol. Airline staff have asked several people to produce QR codes at check-in on boarding, even though arrival testing is no longer required. As a precaution, travelers can print the Beninese government communiqué confirming the pre-boarding PCR test requirement and the new time frame of 72 hours for arriving travelers, and 5 days for departing travelers.
To date, the Embassy has not heard of travelers receiving reimbursement for unused QR codes; please keep this in mind if you purchase a QR code for an arrival test as a back-up. You risk not being reimbursed.
Actions to Take:
- For information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations. · Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for country-specific information related to COVID-19.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions, including potential COVID vaccine or testing requirements for countries you are transiting through.
- Visit the U.S. Embassy Benin webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Benin.
- U.S. Embassy Cotonou
- Phone number +229 2136 7500
- Email Address ACSCotonou@state.gov
- Department of State – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444 ·
- Benin Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter