Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin (May 7, 2020)
As of May 7, the Government of Benin has confirmed 140 cases of COVID-19.
The Government of Benin announced that it will lift the health cordon around southern Benin effective on May 11. Facemasks or cloth coverings continue to be required in public, and social distancing guidelines remain in place. Failure to comply with these requirements may result in fines. Places of worship, bars, clubs, beaches, and places of celebration remain closed. For more information, visit the Government of Benin’s COVID-19 website (in French).
Air France has indicated it will offer a flight next week from Cotonou to Paris. This flight may have capacity for individuals who wish to return to the United States, provided the passenger is also able to secure a connecting onward flight from Paris to a destination in the United States. Those interested in learning more about this potential opportunity should contact Air France directly at +229 98 45 48 48 or 51 33 85 21. There are no other airlines currently operating commercial flights in or out of Cotonou.
U.S. Embassy Cotonou has reduced operations to emergency services only until further notice. U.S. citizens with emergencies, including passport emergencies, should contact American Citizen Services at ACSCotonou@state.gov, or call +229 21 36 75 00 and press 0 to speak to an operator.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the Government of Benin’s COVID-19 website (in French), or call the Government’s COVID-19 hotline at 51 02 00 00 / 51 04 00 00 for information on current government measures.
- Follow all government and law enforcement procedures and instructions.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
- Make plans to depart Benin without U.S. Government assistance.
- Prepare to shelter in place for an indefinite period of time if remaining in Benin, including ensuring you have an adequate supply of prescription medication.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Benin.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or cancellations, and restrictions of future tickets.
- U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin
Boulevard de la Marina, Cotonou, Benin
+229 21 36 75 00 or 21 30 06 50
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Benin Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter