Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin (April 30, 2020)
On April 28, the Government of Benin announced that wearing facemasks in public is now required nationwide. The Embassy has received reports that failure to comply with this policy may result in fines.
At this time, it is unknown when the next commercial flight with onward connections to the United States will be. Passengers whose flights were previously cancelled should contact their airline directly for information about rebooking options. U.S. citizens in Benin should prepare to shelter in place until flights resume.
U.S. Embassy Cotonou has reduced operations to emergency services only until further notice. U.S. citizens with emergencies, including passport emergencies, should contact American Citizen Services at ACSCotonou@state.gov or call +229 2136 7500 and press 0 to speak to an operator. The Embassy will be closed on Friday, May 1, in observance of a local holiday.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit the Government of Benin’s COVID-19 website (in French), or call the Government’s COVID-19 hotline at 51 02 00 00 / 51 04 00 00 for information on current government measures.
- Follow all government and law enforcement procedures and instructions.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
- Make plans to depart Benin without U.S. Government assistance.
- Prepare to shelter in place for an indefinite period of time if remaining in Benin, including ensuring you have an adequate supply of prescription medication.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Benin.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or cancellations, and restrictions of future tickets.
- U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin
Boulevard de la Marina, Cotonou, Benin
+229 21 36 75 00 or 21 30 06 50
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Benin Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter