Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program

Humphrey is a non-degree program for mid-career professionals in leadership positions. Fellows pursue tailored study programs at participating host institutions, where freedom from the requirements of a degree program gives each fellow the flexibility to pursue a self-directed, individualized program at a host campus. Candidates should demonstrate strong leadership potential, a commitment to public service, and clear objectives for their Humphrey program. Successful applicants spend one academic year in the United States in a non-degree program that involves a combination of academic study and professional development. Funding is provided by the Government of the United States of America through the U.S. Department of State. The funding covers the cost of tuition and university fees, a monthly maintenance allowance, a book and supplies allowance, round-trip transportation from Benin to the host university in the U.S., and internal program related transportation in the US.

Application deadline: XXXXXX

Human and Institutional Capacity:
∙ Economic Development
∙ Finance & Banking
∙ Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration
∙ Technology Policy and Management
∙ Human Resource Management

Rights and Freedoms:
∙ Communications and Journalism
∙ International Religious Freedom
∙ Law and Human Rights
∙ Trafficking in Persons Policy & Prevention

Sustainable Lands:
∙ Agricultural and Rural Development
∙ Natural Resources, Environmental Policy, and Climate Change
∙ Urban and Regional Planning

Thriving Communities:
∙ Contagious and Infectious Diseases
∙ Public Health Policy and Management
∙ HIV&AIDS, Policy and Prevention
∙ Substance Abuse Education, Treatment and Prevention (see 4b)
∙ Educational Administration, Planning, and Policy
∙ Higher Education Administration
∙ Teaching English as a Foreign Language

  • Candidates must be Citizens or permanent residents of Benin;
  • Candidates must be mid-career professionals in leadership positions who have demonstrated a commitment to public service and the potential for professional advancement.
  • Candidates must have a minimum of five (5) years full-time professional experience (prior to August) in the relevant field and should be interested in the policy aspects of their field of specialization.
  • Candidates must have completed a university degree program requiring at least four (4) years of full-time study to qualify for participation in U.S. graduate study programs.
  • Candidates must generally be proficient in both written and spoken English as demonstrated by a minimum TOEFL score of 525 (paper based) or 71 (internet-based). Exceptionally promising candidates with lower scores may be nominated and will be considered for one of the two English training programs.

The following candidates are not eligible.

  • Recent university graduates (even if they have significant positions);
  • University teachers or academic researchers with no management responsibilities (except in the fields of Substance Abuse Education, Prevention, and Treatment and Teaching of English as a Foreign Language);
  • Individuals who have attended a graduate school in the United States for one academic year or more during the seven years prior to August ;
  • Individuals with U.S. in-country experience of any kind lasting more than six months during the five years prior to August ; and
  • Individuals with dual U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent resident status may not apply to the program; they are ineligible for a J visa.


To apply, please go to the link

The following documents are necessary in the application process:

  1. Transcripts of your university grades (certified copies translated in English). Please go to the ministry of foreign affairs to do your translation.
  2. Degree (certified copy translated in English)
  3. Two letters of recommendation written in English provided by people who know you well, such as teachers or employers, not friends or relatives.
  4. TOEFL score. Register for the TOEFL test at . You should use the code 9616 to ensure that your score is sent to the Institute of International Education.

If you have any questions, please write to

Good luck.