Demonstration Alert: U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin (October 27, 2020)
Location: Urban Areas Throughout Benin
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Cotonou has received reports that demonstrators plan to march in urban areas throughout Benin, including Cotonou and Porto Novo, on Saturday, October 31, 2020, as part of a national women’s march.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence.
The U.S. Embassy has rescheduled a community event to another day, and encouraged U.S. Embassy staff to follow the guidance below.
Actions to Consider:
- Plan travel and activities to avoid cities and urban areas throughout Benin, especially around city markets.
- Avoid demonstrations and large crowds.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Beninese visa.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Wear a mask when in public spaces to protect yourself and others from the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
- U.S. Embassy Cotonou, Benin
Boulevard de la Marina Cotonou Benin
+229 21 36 75 00 or +229 21 30 06 50
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Benin Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter